Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Garlic seasoned baked sweet potato fries



Whenever I'm out with a group of people for lunch at a restaurant that offers a choice of fruit or fries with a sandwich, the guys always go for the fries, and the women dutifully get the fruit. Well, except for me. I figure I so rarely go out for lunch, that I'm jolly well having the fries at a place that makes them tasty since I don't often get them. Plus, the fruit at such establishments is generally subpar, and I get plenty of fruit at home. (OK, the exception to my menu choices is a long road trip, because a steady diet of fried food does not agree with my stomach or my scale.)

This recipe is an example of keeping the part of a recipe you love. I tried grilled Brussels sprouts last fall. They were fine, and would have been finer if I'd had the metal grilling skewers I clearly needed instead of wooden ones. But the seasoning on them was awesome, and I mentally filed it away as something to try on baked sweet potato fries.



Garlic seasoned baked sweet potato fries
Seasoning comes from Alton Brown's recipe for Grilled Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half horizontally and then into strips
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (I've also made this with regular paprika when I was out, and it turned out fine enough, although it doesn't have that same smoky flavor)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 450. Spread sweet potato strips on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with a tiny amount of olive oil. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender but not yet browned. Keep an eye on them, since ovens vary, and it's easy, but very sad, to burn sweet potato fries.

Combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil and remaining seasoning. 

Remove fries from oven and toss with oil mixture. Bake for another 5 minutes or so or until the potatoes start to brown and crisp up a bit.

Rating: These are so tasty they really don't need to be dipped in anything. If I were to gild the lily, I'd suggest aioli.

No comments:

Post a Comment