Monday, March 27, 2017

Cauliflower fried rice



Money can't buy happiness, but it can sure buy bowls that make me happy. I'm giddy with my new set of pretty lunch bowls. They're dishwasher and microwave safe and come with nicely sealing lids that have built-in pop-up vents so you can use them as covers in the microwave.

I had thought the green one was going to be the dud color, the one you decide you might as well take on the lousiest day of the week since it already blows. But then I saw the inside and now it might be my new favorite.  No idea where I'm going to store them, but they'll probably be in the frig or dishwasher most of the time...

So now that I've further betrayed how shallow I am because I like things, here's my latest attempt to make my work lunches more interesting. However it turns out, it's at least in a prettier bowl instead of a plastic Gladware container, and that makes me happy.

Cauliflower fried rice
Adapted from jaysbakingmecrazy.com. It's a Paleo recipe as it was written.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large red onion, chopped
1½ cup chopped carrots
1 teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder 
1 large cauliflower head, grated (you can do this in the food processor in short order, or use a large-holed hand grater)
½ cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce, if you don't care about the Paleo bit)
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
3 green onions, chopped
 
Method
Melt coconut oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until tender.  Add salt, ginger and garlic powder as it's nearing tenderness. Stir in cauliflower and coconut aminos. Cook another 5 minutes.

Push mixture to one side and add eggs. When they're scrambled, stir into the rest of the mixture. Add most of the green onions and stir in. Use remaining green onions to garnish each serving.

About that: The original recipe said it makes 6 servings. Perhaps my cauliflower didn't qualify as large, but I thought that made pretty skimpy servings, so I divided it into 5 servings. Of course, the fact that I had a set of five new bowls waiting to be filled might have had something to do with it.

Rating: Tastes like fried rice, which I happen to like. The ginger really comes through nicely. Not exactly the same texture, but it's still got some body. I could see making this again. It doesn't necessarily need reheating, which is handy for a lunch. And the new bowl still gets rave reviews after actual use.

Note: Coconut aminos can be hard to find. Some people have seen it at Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but it's not something you find at every mainstream grocery store. Plus, it's pricey, as specialty ingredients are wont to be. Here's a link for making your own substitute that also doesn't have coconut, in case that's an issue for you. Although it has beef broth in it, so if you're vegetarian, that's out. At this point, nearly every substance violates someone's dietary restrictions.


No comments:

Post a Comment