Sunday, January 5, 2014

And so it begins



French beans from "Barefoot Contessa Foolproof" really are.

The new cookbooks on the coffee table were inspiration and guilt in a single pile. Promises of glorious meals to come, each with so many recipes yet untried. Compounding that hope and angst was the knowledge that I already own a wall of cookbooks chockful of savory dishes still waiting their turn at the stove. Combine that with a url my husband gave me for my birthday that I’ve never done anything with, and a resolution was born: I’d make at least one new-to-me recipe from all of my 226 cookbooks this year and post the results on the site to keep me motivated – and to keep me from buying too many more cookbooks.

To start off the project and warm up the kitchen on New Year’s Day, I opted to try the French flageolet beans from “Barefoot Contessa Foolproof” (http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Contessa-Foolproof-Recipes-Trust/dp/0307464873)

I didn’t happen to find flageolet beans at my closest store and didn’t feel like driving around town New Year’s Eve looking for them, so I tried it with great Northern beans. Next time I happen to see a package of flageolets, I’ll grab it for future use and compare. The great Northerns worked just fine, the recipe was fabulous comfort food, and a great accompaniment to our traditional New Year’s meal of lamb.

You’ll need bacon, onions, fresh fennel, garlic, carrots, bay leaves, rosemary and broth. If you’ve got a No. 24 Le Creuset Dutch oven, it fits perfectly in there. I found the time estimates to be spot on, and this is a definite repeater.

Here’s a link to the recipe: