Friday, July 31, 2026

Three apps I'm apt to make again

 


I'm always in the market for fresh appetizer options to stave off food boredom, but some bear repeating. Here are three likely suspects I tried recently.

Cucumber rounds with roasted red pepper hummus and Boursin

Adapted from Fine Cooking's Weekend Cooking 2006. The section was labeled "when you need to bring the hors d'oevre," and I did, so I did. It called for making a more basic hummus, but I thought the red pepper would make it more colorful. It called for a small dollop of plain yogurt on top of the hummus, but I worried a bit about it staying put on a day when we were invited to a porch gathering while there was a heat advisory in play, so I went with the cheese instead. The original recipe says it makes 40 or so. I just stopped slicing once I'd filled up the size tray I wanted to.

Ingredients

1 large seedless cucumber 
Roasted red pepper hummus (purchased, or see recipe below)
Boursin cheese
Toasted white sesame seeds or black

Method
Slice the ends off the cucumber, then use a fork to score the outside of the cucumber vertically to make ridges. (Alternatively, the original recipe called for using a peeler at ¼-inch intervals to create a vertical striped pattern, but I really doubted I would pull that off.) Slice ¼-inch thick horizontally and place on serving dish. Salt very lightly. Top with a teaspoon of hummus and then a small ball of cheese or dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

Rating: Dave said they looked like the summer version of Christmas cookies. These were just as cute as could be, and just fine for a really hot day when you don't want to heat up the kitchen. My nit: I didn't find a large enough cucumber at the market so these were really small. That makes them both a tad harder for people to pick up as finger food and also meant those Boursin cheese balls on the top had to be super tiny, which was a bit of a logistical feat. Also, being that small made it hard to get very much of the roasted red pepper hummus on top, so that flavor was a little more muted than I would have liked, because that recipe is the bomb. I've purchased a variety of prepared roasted red pepper hummus from stores, but this was awesome. Definitely would make that part again.

Roasted red pepper hummus

Adapted very slightly from immigrantstable.com. The only change was swapping out the lemon juice for lime.

Ingredients
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 roasted red peppers
¼ cup tahini
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine chickpeas, roasted peppers, tahini, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, paprika and cayenne in a food processor or blender until very smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and adjust thickness with additional olive oil if you need a less thick mixture.

Rating: Really nicely balanced spice. Definite keeper.



Creamy cilantro sauce (or dip, or spread)

Adapted from Bon Appetit, Summer 2006. This sauce was part of a recipe that called for putting it over tofu that had been marinated and grilled, an adaptation of a Peruvian chicken recipe. It called for a serrano chile but I didn't have one on hand, so it would be much hotter with that swap. And it called for half an avocado and adding ¼ cup of water, which would make it a runnier sauce.

Ingredients

1 bunch of cilantro, bottom stems removed
6 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 pitted, peeled avocado
1 jalapeño chile
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon ground cumin

Method
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until mostly smooth. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Rating: We first served this over baked chicken, and it was a delight. Then we used it as a spread for a club sandwich and for BLTs, and it was heaven. Great on fish tacos. We made another batch to serve as a chip dip, and it was dandy there too. Super fast to make, and if you cover it well it retains its color when made ahead. An absolute keeper.



Smoked salmon and caper spread

From "Wine Bites" by Barbara Scott-Goodman. The book is subtitled "Simple morsels that pair perfectly with wine" and it's filled with lots of likely looking recipes. I can attest that in this case, the morsel also paired perfectly with gin and tonics.

Ingredients

1 8-ounce container cream cheese, softened a bit
4 ounces smoked salmon, divided
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon drained capers
Dash of hot pepper sauce
Grated black pepper
Sliced red onion, sliced tomatoes and bread for serving

Method
Combine cream cheese, ¾ of the smoked salmon, parsley, lemon juice, milk, capers and hot pepper sauce in a food processor and process until smooth. Mix in remaining salmon and black pepper. Serve as a spread for toasted bread or crackers. Top with red onions and sliced tomatoes if desired. Spread can be made ahead; bring to room temperature before serving so it's spreadable.

Rating: Not bad. I might like to add dill and/or lemon zest if I make it again, and I might well, because it's just so fast to make and doesn't heat up the kitchen. I just served it with gluten-free crackers rather than the bread route to accommodate dietary considerations, but if serving on bread I think some pickled red onions as a topper would be dandy. At any rate, our hosts' cat was pretty darn sure this dip was worth exploring and had to be continually dissuaded, so the salmon clearly comes through.

Leftover notes: This also worked well as a sandwich filling along with cucumber slices, tomatoes and lettuce.




No comments:

Post a Comment