Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Last Word, cocktail style



If you run across a drink recipe called the Last Word, I'm pretty sure you have to try it on New Year's Eve.  It's made with Chartreuse, a ridiculously expensive substance made by Carthusian monks that involves 130 kinds of herbs and flowers. As Tarantino said in "Death Proof ": "Chartreuse, the only liquor so good they named a color after it." And at that price, it should be. There's a yellow label and a green, and the green is even more dear and more alcohol-laden.

So as we usher out this dumpster fire of a year, here's

The Last Word
From Saveur

Ingredients


¾ ounce Chartreuse
¾ ounce maraschino liqueur (I used Luxardo)
¾ ounce gin
¾ ounce fresh lime juice

Method
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and serve. (Obviously this is easily scaled up for a pitcher for guests, since it's just equal parts.)

Rating: Dave's take: This could be dangerous. My initial take, this is pleasant. And then somewhere along the way you're cranking really, really, really super old ZZ. You know, before the stupid car.

And as we recap the year, I'm humored by the different takes on the best dishes of the year among these two publications.

Rick Nelson, Star Tribune

City Pages
And as we close out the year, here are 5 random food-related things I enjoyed:

 

Fwuffy! As fun to say as it is to eat. It's my favorite bread from the Brake Bread people. I got mine at the Midtown Farmers Market, but they also have a bicycle-based subscription delivery service.

The Italian Eatery (ie). Nice to have another dining option within walking distance, and especially one that's cozy comfortable.

 

The advent of city composting. I've got my own backyard compost bin where I zealously stow my peels and cores so they turn into gorgeous soil supplement for my garden. But it's great to have someplace to take the scraps I don't want to put back there, and best of all, they take food-soiled paper, like the parchment sheet above. Since I start nearly every recipe with the phrase, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment, this makes me very happy and feel slightly less guilty.

 

The cranberry liqueur from Tattersall Distilling. I recommend it in a cosmo.


The fact that I work for a metro daily that still lists lutefisk dinners. That doesn’t mean I want to go to one, but it’s nice to see food traditions continue.

Looking ahead to next year, random things I might have to try:

Smoked gin. Saveur has the story, with the quote: “Just think what bacon does to a cheeseburger.”

Making my own bloody mary dip. Deena's Gourmet in St. Paul makes an addictive concoction I need to try to replicate.

Cinnamon roll pie crust. Do I need a reason?

Sum Dem Korean barbecue. This just opened nearby. Gotta love people who give it a try in the little hole in the wall places down the hill.

Happy New Year. May better things be ahead for us all.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment