Sunday, October 1, 2023

Salad days ahead: Return to office lunches


 

The corporate powers that be are herding people back into the offices they pay for, at least a few days a week. It's time to gear up for options I can quickly assemble before trudging off to the office, but still work as lunches left behind for the guy whose company embraced the virtual office permanently.

That means Sundays spent grilling, grating and chopping so I can always at least grab a salad with a container of dressing to mix in while I east at my desk. I keep the salad ingredients in separate containers, partly so they last longer than they do mixed together, and partly so I can customize the salad components. (I adore Rubbermaid's Brilliance line of stackable glass containers for this. They fit perfectly in the crisper drawer and keep greens from wilting rapidly.)

Early on in the pandemic I came to rely on those prebagged chop salads that you can turn into lunch by tossing in your protein of choice. But they aren't free, they don't last super long in plastic bags and the dressing to salad ratio is sometimes off. (We'll skip the issue of the calorie/salt count in those dressings.) And my goodness, so much plastic. Each salad kit is like a Russian nesting doll of plastic sacks.

So prechopped ingredients, a handful of leftovers and a couple of homemade dressings on hand.means at least one aspect of my workweek is manageable. I like to use a mandolin for the shredded cabbage, but I go old school with the carrots. Yes, I still own a Salad Shooter. Stay tuned for a workweek's worth of salad/dressing recipes in case you, too, want to ditch the plastic. 

If you want a bonus topping, try these quick garlic croutons.

Quick garlic croutons: Cut 3 slices of a sturdy bread like sourdough into 1-inch cubes. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, some dried thyme and a bit of powdered garlic. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 until brown and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment