Friday, January 28, 2022

Potato butter bean soup


 My mother used to make a potato soup I really liked as a child. I'm pretty sure I made it a few times when I was first married, but I honestly don't know if I remember how at this point. I don't seem to have copied a recipe, possibly because there wasn't really much of one. It doesn't appear to be in the hot mess that was her recipe box. I know it involved sliced potatoes, had some milk added toward the end before serving and was always garnished by dried chives. I wonder if I would like it now or if it's one of those things best left to nostalgia.

Butter bean vichyssoise with chives
From “365 A Year of Everyday Cooking and Baking” by Meike Peters, who prefers her vichyssoise warm.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
¾ pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 15.5-ounce can butter beans, drained
1 small leek, white and light green parts, sliced
3¾ cup broth
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ cup cream
2 tablespoons chives chopped

Method
In a large heavy pot heat oil and cook shallots for 2 minutes. Add potatoes, beans and leek and cook for another 2 minutes. Add broth, bay leaf, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf and puree soup. Add cream and heat through. Serve warm garnished with chives. Serves 4

Rating: A really excellent potato soup. Lovely creaminess and warmth of flavor from the butter beans and nutmeg.A pretty quick fix as a bonus. One of the favorites out of all the potato soups I've been making this year. This one will stay in the rotation. It's worth getting nostalgic over.

No comments:

Post a Comment