Thursday, August 2, 2018

Random, but lovely



Well hello, handsome. This gem finally burst on the garden scene after seemingly weeks in the bud stage, and long after I’d forgotten I’d even planted it.

When I saw two lily-ish things poking through by the garage this spring, I was puzzled and at first thought they were another example of my tiger lilies going rogue in a spot where their vivid orange would be most jarring. I’d forgotten that when I hit reset on that particular garden bed last year, I’d planted three of these lilies, only to have them felled by rascally rabbits in short order, long before they bloomed. 

The entire bed was a mass of good intentions gone awry, since the order of bare-root plants arrived at the worst possible moment and it kind of went downhill from there.  So this year, while pondering how to regroup minus the three astrantia plants that didn’t survive last year’s delayed planting, I was wondering what on earth those lilies were.

Now I know, and I wish there were more of them, and that it wasn’t the middle one of the threesome that died, naturally, leaving an odd gap. The rest of the bed is a hot mess, but at least now I know I’ve got something lovely to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment