Saturday, January 2, 2016

Beans in tomato dill sauce

 

Beans, lentils, dried peas and other round "coin-shaped" foods are thought in many cultures to be good luck to eat on New Year's Day on the theory they resemble money. While I don't buy into the concept, I sometimes try a new legume recipe on the first day of the year, because why not? It's no sillier than the fact that we always have our once-a-year lamb via Sleepy Hallow at Native Oaks Farm on New Year's Day.





Giant beans in tomato-dill sauce

Ingredients
2 cups dried giant beans
1 cup olive oil, divided
1small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
½ teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill

Method
Soak beans overnight in a large bowl in 10 cup of water. (Or cover beans with cold water in a large pot, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit for an hour.) Drain beans, picking over to remove any chaff.

Simmer beans in a large pot covered with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and simmer until soft, 1 to 1½ hours.

Meanwhile in a separate pot, heat ½ cup of olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium low heat until softened. Add tomatoes, paprika and allspice and cook for about 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree. Return sauce to pot and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm on low heat.

Add drained, cooked beans to the sauce. Stir in herbs and remaining ½ cup olive oil. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally for another 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.

Rating: I figured this recipe was going to be sublime, or at the very least, just fine. It was that -- just fine, which I find odd given the ingredient list. I sprang for the really good tomatoes, and used the usual tasty olive oil, but still found myself having to add more salt at the table, which is never a good sign.  I did substitute cranberry beans, which were the only large dry beans I had on hand, but I'd be surprised if it made that much difference to the taste of the recipe; I can see it affecting texture. Maybe more garlic? We'll see. I might try this again the next time I have some excess white beans on hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment